When do breaks in your continuous service still count for unfair dismissal purposes?
Some breaks in normal employment still count towards a continuous employment period. These are:
- sickness, maternity, paternity, parental or adoption leave;
- annual leave;
- employment overseas with the same company;
- time between unfair dismissal and an employee being reinstated;
- when an employee moves between associated employers;
- military service, eg with a reserve force;
- temporary lay-offs;
- employer lockouts;
- when a business is transferred from one employer to another;
- when a corporate body gets taken over by another because of a legal change.